Featured Post

[Book Review] Jasmine Builds on Shifting Sands: A Self-help Fiction

  I recently bought this book copy for a read and review. Name: [Book Review] Jasmine Builds on Shifting Sands: A Self-help Fiction Auth...

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Review: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson




I recently got a copy of this book for a read.

Author: Mark Manson
On the web you can find him at https://markmanson.net

Front Cover Language: English
Publisher: Harper Collins
Length: 224 pages
Year: 2017


So, the next book that I could get both my eyes and hands on to was the “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life” by Mark Manson. What a catchy title! As it so happened this time too when I picked up the book, I said to myself that I will not be writing any book review. However, I will rate the reasons in the review as to why I decided to write this review and share with the everyone.

Before I begin with the review, let me start by saying that this is the first time I had a book written by Mark Manson in my hands. He is a well known personality.


Narration: This is the part that holds the readers interest together and this is where even renowned writers and authors falter. I was expecting a lot from this book and keeping up with the promise, the writer did a good job here. The narration pleasantly stumped me with its pace, lack of verbosity, examples and outcomes all stitched together neatly from a narration perspective. Also, the language of the book is very easy and flowing in a way that this makes more of a evening over the coffee read rather than a self-help book.

Moving on to the book, I think the book’s target audience is the millennial's and young adults. Also, this is the kind of book that you will either really like or you would think that this book is a royal waste of time.

This books starts from the premise that the key to anyone’s success is to simply “not give a fuck” about anything or anyone. This is the premise on which the book is written. The book’s subtitle is ‘A counterintuitive approach to living a good life’. This is what the book is really about or atleast makes an attempt to address this in bits & pieces.

Mark starts with examples of how contrasting two people’s lives are; the one who gives a fuck about everything and the one who doesn’t give a fuck about anything.

If I were to summarise the message/essence of this book in few words, this is what I would say: this book does not stop and will not stop you from giving a fuck, but rather is intended to help the reader/you/me decide what fucks we would want to give. That is the one integral message written across the pages. Also, this is not a new message and has been shared in many self-help books across the world. The only unique aspect in this book when compared to other books of the same genre is that Mark uses reverse psychology of sorts to convey the message.

One message that I really liked in the book is:

We are always choosing: willingly or unwillingly. We are the makers of our choices.
This book has a lot of questions and you will find answers to some, not all and it is on the reader to decide whether he will believe what is written. In any case, I am sure that the reader would not be completely disappointed.

Overall, the book is an average read and not a must read. Definitely overrated. However, this remains a once read. The messages that have been passed and the ease with which they have been passed, will lead the reader on to quickly get better in life, by just following once advice, rather than many – stop giving a fuck about everything, start becoming selective.

You may buy the book from the following links:

Amazon
Flipkart

No comments:

Post a Comment